Towson Odd Fellows Lodge #79


History of Towson and Lodge # 79

 Named after its founding family, Towsontown began as a bustling community just north of the commercial city of Baltimore in the mid 1700’s. Because of its diverse mix of commercial, agricultural, and manufacturing interests, Towsontown grew rapidly. As a center point between Baltimore and York, Pennslyvania, Towson gained a reputation for iron production and manufacturing, blacksmithing, and as a trading post for wholesale/retail goods and services.

As Towson grew its economy, so its population expanded with it. Many of its residents became prominent citizens of Baltimore County and Maryland, as a whole. It was from among these citizens that Towson Lodge #79 began, in 1852.

On January 10th 1852, founding members Dr. Grafton Bosley, J.W. Van Horn, Charles Chew, Benjamin Payne, and George Bull were granted a charter to institute an Odd Fellows Lodge in Towsontown. They named the lodge in honor of their hero General Nathan Towson. Towson was born and raised in the community named after his family. The General gained his military reputation as a fierce defender of our Country, during the War of 1812. Just two years from his death in 1854, Towson was invited to become a Charter Member of Lodge #79. However, due to his devout Catholicism’s disapproval of what the religion defines as “secret societies”, Towson declined membership. Never the less, General Towson was so honored by the members, he donated to the Lodge a painted portrait of himself, as a young officer. The portrait maintains its prominent place in our Lodge Room to this day.

Dr. Grafton Bosley was elected to serve as the first Noble Grand of Towson Lodge #79, in 1852. That tradition has continued to this day, as we celebrate our 161st year of continual operation, serving Odd Fellowship and the Towson community.


Gene Leasure


Towson Lodge #79

Towson Odd Fellows

                                                                   Lodge 79

511 York Rd
Towson, MD 21204


Website Builder